Top 8 Cannabis Strains to Supercharge Your Sex Life
Among cannabis’s main attractions is its ability to heighten physical sensations. So, it follows that a few hits of “Mary Jane” might enhance one of the most sensual activities of all: sex. Don’t knock it till you try it. Then, you’ll likely see what all the fuss is about.
Though many people are hip to the connection between cannabis and sex, fewer understand how to choose the best cannabis strain to heighten sexual desire and arousal. Yet, understanding the subtleties of specific strains is key to finding the best ones to suit individual tastes. Let’s look at the top 8 cannabis strains to supercharge your sex life.
We’ll explore which strains have the most potential to enhance sexual pleasure, amplify orgasm intensity, and boost a sexual experience. Hemp and weed strains contain unique combinations of cannabinoids and terpenes, each affecting your body differently. That’s why you’ll benefit from learning about which strains might potentially relieve pain, increase blood flow, yield euphoric effects, or reduce anxiety. All of these things can affect sexual experiences in indirect ways.
Below are eight popular strains known to bolster sex drive and lead to better sex.
Cannabis and libido
Why does weed trigger such intense arousal? Several theories explore how the multi-purpose plant might affect libido, though most studies are based on anecdotal reports or self-reported surveys. For example, many participants in a recent study found that cannabis helped them relax, heightened their sensitivity to touch, and increased the intensity of their emotions. The same participants reported that cannabis strongly enhanced their sexual experience .
Other experts weigh in about the connection between cannabis and sexual function. For example, Dr. Becky Lynn, a sexual medicine and menopause expert, told the New York Times, “I’ve had several patients come to me and say, ‘I have low libido. Can you help me? And, oh, by the way, if I use marijuana, I can orgasm, no problem.’” She added that many patients report that cannabis improves their overall libido and sexual arousal, especially regarding female arousal.
In 2019, Dr. Lynn surveyed 373 women about cannabis at an obstetrics and gynecology clinic in Missouri. Thirty-four percent of those surveyed reported that cannabis use resulted in their increased sex drive, improved orgasm, and decreased pain .
What is the endocannabinoid system?
Cannabis consumption works in the way it does because of the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a network of chemical signals and receptors spread throughout the human body. The chemicals involved in this system are either introduced from outside the body as phytocannabinoids, like those found in cannabis, or activated naturally from within the body as endocannabinoids.
Recent research suggests that endocannabinoids can be produced through sexual pleasure . Found primarily in the brain and spine, the ECS’s CB1 receptors are often triggered by an endocannabinoid known as anandamide: the neurotransmitter that draws its name from the Sanskrit word meaning “bliss.” Indeed, when anandamide is activated, you will likely feel something akin to bliss. In contrast, CB2 receptors are found throughout our organs and primarily modulate immune function.
Cannabinoids such as THC mimic neurotransmitters like anandamide and have similar, and often more pronounced, effects on the brain than even anandamide. That’s why we often feel euphoric after consuming THC .
Learn more in our Guide to CBD
The 8 best cannabis strains for sex
The two main categories of cannabis strains are Indica and Sativa, though many variations and hybrids exist within these types. Indica strains tend to contain higher amounts of CBD than THC, while Sativa strains typically are the reverse. Additionally, Indica is believed to cause more of a calming or relaxing effect, while Sativa is associated with an energizing and cerebral high. The popular strains below include both types of cannabis strains, as well as Sativa-dominant hybrids and Indica-dominant hybrids.
- Forbidden V is reputed to be one of the best strains for short sex sessions because of its unique combination of energizing and calming effects. This low-THC, high-CBD strain enriches a romantic encounter with its tropical, beach-like aroma, rich with guava, mango, and coconut scents.
- Bubba is an Indica-dominant hemp strain grown from an Afghani OG Kush and Northern Lights line. Its sinful flavors that hint of hashish, chocolate, and coffee, as well as its musky and arousing playfulness, make this strain a first choice for happy and relaxed long sex sessions.
- Hawaiian Haze is a high-CBD, low-THC strain with a potent terpene profile. Cannabis consumers enjoy it for its range of effects, from clear-headed alertness and creativity to calm and relaxation. Its galvanizing yet mellowing effects lend themselves well to sexual intimacy and exploration.
- Sour Space Candy is an excellent choice for daytime sexual experiences because of its uplifting and energizing effect balanced with physical characteristics marked by grace and ease. Exuding fecund aromas of ripe tropical fruit, fresh citrus, and earth, this Sativa-dominant strain sets the olfactory stage for great sex.
- Northern Lights is an award-winning Indica-dominant strain said to increase pleasure and intimacy during sex. Producing a pleasant, calming effect that soothes the tension of both body and mind, this strain is popular among growers, medical patients, and recreational cannabis users.
- Green Crack is rumored to be one of the best marijuana strains for sex. Some people have anecdotally reported that it also helps relieve anxiety, pain, nausea, insomnia, and depression, yet more research is needed. This powerful strain is an Indica-dominant hybrid of Afghani Landrace and Skunk #1. Its THC content ranges from 13% to 25%.
- Girl Scout Cookies, or GSC, is an Indica-dominant hybrid that is, by all accounts, a boon to sexual activity. The famous strain is high in THC and known for producing blissful euphoria and full-body relaxation. Its pungent, dessert-like aroma and ambrosiac terpene profile add to any romantic ambiance with its mint, sweet cherry, and lemon notes.
- Wedding Cake is an Indica-dominant hybrid strain with a delightfully sweet aroma and nectar-like flavor. Some liken it to a perfect slice of cherry pie. Famous for its tactile physical effects and ability to stimulate the appetite, it is also known by some as the sensation-enhancing aphrodisiac strain.
Remember there are many types of cannabis products out there these days. Smokeable flower, oils, tablets…the list goes on! Read the Best Cannabis Products for Sex to learn more!
How much should I take?
Dr. Jordan Tishler, president of the Association of Cannabinoid Specialists, recommends trying out cannabis at low doses while you’re alone to better “understand what it does to the body and sensations.” He suggests that people try out 5 mg of THC if they’re new to cannabis with THC.
Additionally, Dr. Tishler advises that his clients take no more than 5 mg of THC before a sexual experience while encouraging them to use a cannabis flower vaporizer instead of smoking or using a vape oil apparatus. He claims cannabis flower vaporizers work more predictably and faster than some edibles or lubricants infused with THC. More experienced consumers will likely use more as they become comfortable with the effects .
Looking for THC products? Check out earthyselect.com for a great variety of Delta-8, Delta-9 and Delta-10 products and fast shipping!
Key takeaway for cannabis strains to supercharge your sex life
A few hits of the right strain promise to give you entry into a steamier world of erotic bliss. But slow down, and take your time to try out several strains before deciding which is the hottest ticket for you. Sex deserves attention to subtleties of sensation and perception and, of course, individual preferences.
For instance, a Sativa-dominant hybrid like Super Silver Haze might help some achieve their desired effects with its energizing qualities. At the same time, a mellow Indica strain like Granddaddy Purple might set in motion the slow sexual simmer sought by another. There’s no right or wrong in the exciting world of cannabis strains. There are only new variations.
Keep exploring in The Complete Guide to Cannabis and Sex!
Medical Disclaimer / Legal Disclaimer – Information is provided for educational purposes. It does not and is not intended to constitute legal or medical advice. We attempt to be accurate and up-to-date, but the legality of cannabinoids and the science of cannabis are evolving. The author is neither a legal professional nor a medical expert. Before buying or using any products, you should check with your local authorities and medical providers.
- How Cannabis Alters Sexual Experience: A Survey of Men and Women
- Cannabis for Better Sex? Here’s What the Science Says.
- Study Explores Chemical Links Of Cannabis, Exercise, And Sexual Bliss
- Endocannabinoid Hedonic Hotspot for Sensory Pleasure: Anandamide in Nucleus Accumbens Shell Enhances ‘Liking’ of a Sweet Reward
- 10 Best Cannabis Strains for Male Arousal